Over the past few field weekends a number of members have been very interested in the portable activities of other members of the club. They say that information and help in setting up is sometimes difficult to come by. Amateurs tend to do things on their own or with just a few like-minded friends. Much of this valuable information is the experience of such amateurs and is dispensed only if asked. There is no formal help, so aspiring portableers often have to do it the ‘hard way’.
The last few year’s field weekends and field activities have been very successful and good attendances have been seen, but again a lot of our newer members struggle to find out how to go portable in the true sense of the word. So, after a number of discussions with portableering members, I thought it might be a good idea to form a ‘special interest group’ within LEFARS to help those who wish to become ‘portableers’.
A memo to the committee on the idea elicited a positive reaction with a ‘good idea, go for it’.
The idea is that we form a special interest group within LEFARS in the form of a PORTABLE GROUP whose aim is to help and give advice to members who wish to operate in the field. To hold field days where practical assistance, tests, evaluations, and construction can take place.
The rules would be few and as follows……
- The group will be known as LEFARS – PORTABLE GROUP.
- The group is open only to members of LEFARS.
- The group in a special interest group within LEFARS.
- The group is controlled by the committee of LEFARS who may appoint an organiser as they see fit.
- The group is dedicated to all aspects of portable operation, irrespective of mode and band.
What does it all mean?
- Operating in the field without a mains supply! That means operating: up mountains (SOTA), backpacking, hiking, on holiday.
- Out in the countryside, contests, special events, aerial tests, homemade. equipment, operating military radios, and vintage radios. Pedestrian mobile.
- Operating on voice, CW, data, SSTV, ATV, satellite, EME.
If you are interested in portable operation, register your interest and LET ME KNOW. Send a email to email@example.com to be included on the portable email list (reflector).
73 John G0VEH